This put up accommodates affiliate hyperlinks. As an Amazon Affiliate TinyGardenHabit.com earns from qualifying purchases.
In terms of rising potatoes, understanding the distinction between seed potatoes and common potatoes could be a bit complicated. However, it’s vital to know their variations to have a profitable tuber harvest this season.
The principle distinction between seed potatoes and common potatoes is that common potatoes are handled with a sprout inhibitor to offer them an extended shelf life. Seed potatoes should not have this remedy and are additionally licensed disease-free to assist stop the unfold of widespread potato ailments.
I’ll go over these variations in additional element in addition to what a real potato seed is. I’ll additionally share how one can make your personal seed potatoes at house!
How are seed potatoes totally different from common potatoes?
Though they appear comparable, seed potatoes are literally fairly totally different from the potatoes you purchase on the grocery retailer for a number of causes.
For starters, grocery retailer potatoes are oftentimes handled with a chemical to maintain them from sprouting and to protect their shelf life. Ever discover how potatoes appear to final without end on the shelf? Nicely, you may thank the sprout inhibitor for that.
Seed potatoes will not be handled with this chemical as a result of clearly, you need the tubers to sprout whenever you plant them.
Seed potatoes are additionally licensed disease-free. For those who plant an everyday potato in your backyard, you run the danger of introducing new ailments into your soil that may not solely ravage your potato crop, but in addition different crops within the nightshade household like tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants.
Though seed potatoes are higher for manufacturing functions, this does imply their worth tends to be a bit of greater than common potatoes. To me, it’s price it although. You get what you paid for.
Easy methods to inform in case your potatoes are licensed disease-free?
Any seed potatoes you purchase from a widely known seed supplier within the U.S. are required to cross a number of assessments and inspections to show that they’re really illness free. If any of the potatoes take a look at constructive for illness, they’re not allowed to be bought.
This is the reason it’s vital to buy seeds from a good supply as this can be sure that they’ve handed certification. Some good seed corporations that I like embrace Johnny’s Chosen Seeds, Fedco Seeds, and Excessive Mowing Natural Seeds simply to call just a few.
Are you able to plant shriveled seed potatoes?
Sure! You’ll be able to nonetheless plant shriveled seed potatoes. So long as you don’t see any indicators of rot or mildew, you ought to be good to go.
Generally the seed potatoes that seed corporations ship you’ll already be a bit of shriveled anyway. However this isn’t something to fret about. Simply listen as you’re planting and toss any questionable potatoes.
We’ve an excellent article all about planting shriveled potatoes which you can take a look at right here.
Are true potato seeds and seed potatoes the identical factor?
Nope! It’s a bit of complicated as a result of they sound like just about the identical factor, however they’re not. Seed potatoes don’t look something like a seed and simply seem like common potatoes.
A real potato seed comes from the fruit of the potato plant. Whenever you develop potatoes, chances are you’ll discover that they set flowers that may generally flip into little tomato-looking fruits. These fruits will not be edible and will be poisonous if consumed.
Inside this fruit are the tiny potato seeds which, in concept, ought to develop into a brand new potato plant.
Why not use precise seeds?
Utilizing true potato seeds isn’t very sensible. For starters, they could be a problem to reap, and quite a lot of the time, potato vegetation gained’t even set fruit that may be harvested.
Additionally they take considerably longer to develop right into a mature potato plant than widespread seed potatoes. Except you could have a very good indoor area to begin seeds, it is going to be very tough to get something to germinate exterior within the useless of winter.
Lastly, bear in mind all that stuff I discussed earlier about seed potatoes being licensed illness free? True potato seeds don’t have this certification so there’s no option to inform if you happen to’re introducing new ailments into your backyard.
Easy methods to make your personal seed potatoes?
If you wish to do some experiment and take a look at making your personal seed potatoes, there’s a option to do it. Simply understand that these potatoes will clearly not be licensed illness free and should have a decrease germination price than seed potatoes you’d purchase from a seed firm.
To make your personal seed potatoes, you first need the tubers to sprout a bit of bit.
A number of instances, backyard potatoes will do that on their very own if you happen to go away them on the shelf lengthy sufficient however if you need them to sprout faster, you may go away them near a window the place they get a bit of little bit of oblique mild.
As soon as the tubers have small sprouts rising from their eyes, you may reduce your potatoes into items, leaving one sprout or eye per reduce piece. With no sprout or eye, there’s a very good probability that piece gained’t develop into something.
Depart your newly reduce tuber items someplace to dry. Finally, the reduce sides will harden and scab over leaving you with a brand new seed potato!
For those who’re not able to plant straight away, retailer the seed potatoes in a dry, darkish place to stop any mildew from rising.
Excited about extra potato-growing ideas? Test these articles on:
By now, I hope I’ve cleared up any confusion on the distinction between seed potatoes, common potatoes, and in addition true potato seeds. I do know it appears a bit of convoluted however the distinctions are vital. So let’s recap:
- These are the potatoes which can be conventionally utilized in potato manufacturing and look identical to common tubers.
- They’re bought from a good seed firm.
- They’ve gone by a number of rounds of illness testing and are licensed illness free.
- They’re usually dearer than common potatoes.
- These are the potatoes that you simply discover within the grocery and are used primarily for consumption.
- They’re handled with sprout inhibitors to stop sprout development and enhance their shelf life.
- They don’t seem to be licensed illness free and may subsequently doubtlessly introduce ailments into your backyard that may harm not simply your potatoes, however different crops too.
True potato seeds:
- These are the tiny seeds that develop contained in the fruit of a potato.
- Not all potatoes set fruits and subsequently will not be a dependable supply for rising new potatoes.
- True potato seeds take considerably longer to develop than seed potatoes and will be impractical if not unimaginable to develop.
Try these must-have gardening merchandise
You don’t want a lot to begin gardening, however some instruments and merchandise will make a distinction in how snug and efficient gardening will be for you. Listed here are my favorites:
- Backyard Trowel. backyard trowel will final you a few years. I like how sturdy this hand trowel from WOLF-Garten is, the metallic doesn’t bend and it has a pleasant grip.
- Trimming Scissors. I take advantage of them for delicate pruning and harvesting all summer season lengthy, and so they’re tremendous helpful. These Teflon Trimming Scissors are further good as a result of they don’t rust as simply.
- Dutch Hoe. Dutch hoes could appear old school, however there’s nothing like a fast sweep by the topsoil to eliminate small weeds – no bending required. I like WOLF-Garten’s choice: this dutch hoe coupled with their common deal with.
- Develop Lights. These develop lights from Mars Hydro are tremendous robust, but dimmable, in order that they match each stage of development. They don’t put out an excessive amount of warmth and are very economical.
- Seedling Trays. There’s an artwork to picking the most effective dimension for seedling trays in order that it holds the proper quantity of water and offers the roots sufficient room to develop. These germination plugs are good when coupled with 1020 backside trays.
- Liquid Fertilizer. You’ll have to feed your vegetation from the seedling stage, all the way in which to fruiting. This natural fish & seaweed mix is a really versatile choice. Use it half-strength for younger vegetation and full-strength for established vegetation.
Browse our record of instruments, fertilizers & pesticides, indoor rising merchandise and seed store suggestions – we hope you discover our choice helpful and it saves you a while!