- “Right here’s the best way to freeze recent tomatoes simply and rapidly! No blanching required!”
- Execs of Freezing Tomatoes
- Cons of Freezing Tomatoes
- To thaw: Place the tomatoes within the fridge or on the counter till thawed. Pour off the surplus water. After they thaw the skins will slip proper off and there you could have it!
- Suggestions On Freezing Tomatoes
“Right here’s the best way to freeze recent tomatoes simply and rapidly! No blanching required!”
My little backyard did so nicely this summer time! I nonetheless have tons of tomatoes coming off the vine, far more than I care to eat in the meanwhile. Sadly, I’ve let fairly a number of go dangerous on me over the summer time. Recently, I’ve been remembering to freeze them. Now they’re all prepped and prepared for my winter chili!
You're reading: how do you freeze tomatoes from the garden
I actually needed to get round to doing a canning course this summer time however man how time flies! Actually, although, I feel I choose freezing my produce over canning it as of late. It’s a lot simpler and faster with my tight schedule.
Read more: how to lay bricks as garden edging
You need to use a vacuum sealer in case you have one or you should utilize the straw technique to suck out the surplus air.
Vacuum Sealing With a Straw: Right here’s a fast tutorial on the best way to vacuum seal your individual freezer luggage with a straw in case you’ve by no means tried it. It’s tremendous vital although to maintain these tomatoes as recent as doable.
Execs of Freezing Tomatoes
- Freezing tomatoes allow you to take pleasure in summer time ripened tomatoes within the winter. Certain they lose some taste as any recent frozen produce will, however they’re nonetheless nice to prepare dinner with.
- Freezing tomatoes is likely one of the best and quickest methods to protect them. You are able to do massive batches or tiny ones as your tomatoes ripen, which is nice for smaller gardens. This technique of freezing tomatoes requires no blanching. (Yay for not having to cope with boiling and icy water!)
- Frozen recent tomatoes are excellent for all these cold-weather soups, stews, and chili!
- Freezing tomatoes helps to stop waste. I can’t let you know what number of tomatoes I’ve needed to toss from my fridge as a result of they bought all mushy.
Cons of Freezing Tomatoes
- They don’t maintain their texture as soon as thawed. Sorry should you’re anticipating a agency tomato for a tomato sandwich or plump tomatoes for a salad. Not taking place! Thawed tomatoes mushy and never as nice to eat plain as it’s when it’s recent. Use them as you’d stew tomatoes in recipes that require cooking. (soups, chilis, casseroles, stews, sauces).
- When you’ve got a small freezer chances are you’ll not have room for luggage of frozen tomatoes. Though should you freeze them flat you’ll be capable of stack the baggage and save on freezer area.
To thaw: Place the tomatoes within the fridge or on the counter till thawed. Pour off the surplus water. After they thaw the skins will slip proper off and there you could have it!
Suggestions On Freezing Tomatoes
- Make certain your tomatoes are agency, ripe, and freed from main bruising.
- Wash and dry your tomatoes nicely earlier than chopping. I like to wash them with a vinegar vegetable wash if I purchase them from the shop they usually aren’t natural.
- Be sure you lower away the stem and core earlier than chopping.
- Be sure you bundle nicely for freezing. I take advantage of a freezer bag and the straw vacuum seal technique. As a double precaution, I additionally place them in a freezer container.
You might want to know: how to start a garden edging business
You’ll love this technique of freezing tomatoes as a result of it doesn’t require you to blanch the tomatoes. Critically you simply take away the core, slice, freeze after which place in a freezer bag. DONE!
When you’ve been profiting from the sale of the dwindling tomatoes crop this time of yr, then attempt freezing a number of batches and let me know the way you want them.
They may preserve within the freezer for 6-9 months.
Read more: how to grow a herb garden outside