Whereas I like the contemporary veggies we get from our backyard yearly, I used to be not thrilled concerning the quantity we had been dropping to rabbits, deer, and different critters who had been serving to themselves to the fruits of my laborious work! I started taking a look at my native backyard provide shops for an answer and got here throughout an ideal thought – an elevated backyard mattress. This takes the concept of a raised backyard mattress one step additional and places it at waist stage. Not solely does this deter rabbits, deer, and the like, it additionally makes weeding a snap as you don’t need to bend over.
You're reading: how to build elevated garden beds on legs
I discovered this VegTrug elevated mattress at a neighborhood retailer and fell in love. After I confirmed Jay, he winced on the worth and guaranteed me he might construct me an even bigger one for a fraction of the associated fee.
We headed to House Depot the place we purchased all the things we wanted for the mission. We acquired:
Twenty 2″x 4″x 8′ cedar boards
One 1″ x 2″ x 8′ cedar board
A field of two 1/2″ screws
We had the next already at house:
A miter noticed (If you’re not capable of lower your wooden, a House Depot worker will be capable to lower them to the wanted sizes)
A drill and drill bits
You might want to know: how to stop weeds growing in the garden
A tape measure
Right here is how Jay went about constructing the elevated mattress:
1) Lower the two′ x 4′ items (or have them lower) to the next sizes
- 8 items lower to three toes, 11.75 inches (lengthy facet mattress items)
- 8 items lower to three toes, 4 inches (quick facet mattress items)
- 4 items lower to 36 inches (lengthy leg items)
- 4 items lower to 23 inches (high quick leg items)
- 4 items lower to 9.25 inches (backside quick leg items)
- 2 items lower to 36.75 inches (leg helps)
Jay stacked the boards based on measurement to maintain them straight.
2) Start with the legs of the mattress. Screw collectively the lengthy leg items and quick leg items in order that they’re flush on one finish. It is best to find yourself with 4 legs.
3) Take two of the finished legs and fasten them to one of many assist leg boards. Repeat with the opposite two legs.
4) Connect the underside quick leg items just under the assist board and screw into place on each units of legs.
5) Stand the legs up in order that they kind H’s with the cross piece towards the highest. Take a protracted facet mattress piece and use it to attach the legs collectively as proven within the image. Repeat all the way in which across the mattress.
Find out: how to waterproof a garden shed floor
6) Proceed constructing the edges of the mattress by putting the remaining facet items across the exterior of the mattress.
7) As soon as the edges are constructed, screw the 1″ x 2″ piece alongside the within, backside of the edges to kind a lip which can act as a base for the underside.
8) Lower the remaining items to suit contained in the mattress and kind the ground. The measurements wouldn’t have to be precise – small gaps will permit water to circulation by means of.
And voila!! You now have an elevated backyard.
Pin it for later:
Find out: rabbits in garden how to get rid of