Harvest carrots after they develop their shade and the tops are 1 inch in diameter or smaller. Carrots could be lifted as quickly as they’re a usable dimension.
Carrots are prepared for harvest 60 to 90 days after sowing relying upon the variability; they’ll proceed to develop and enlarge should you go away them within the ground-but they normally don’t get tastier and should get bitter.
You're reading: how to store garden carrots
When to Harvest Carrots
• One of the simplest ways to know when your carrot crop is prepared for harvest is to raise one or two each few days and style them. Start your harvest when roots are candy.
• Carrots planted for summer season harvest needs to be pulled often as soon as they’re candy.
• Carrots grown for fall and winter harvest could be left within the floor till you might be prepared to make use of them. (As soon as the climate grows chilly, carrots is not going to proceed to develop considerably.) However should you dwell the place the bottom freezes, it’s best to harvest your crop quickly after the primary heavy frost except you’ll be able to defend them.
• You probably have carrots within the floor when a sizzling spell or sizzling climate arrives for the summer season, it’s best to raise the entire crop; warmth may cause carrots to be bitter flavored. Spot verify and pattern your crop each few days; harvest if the warmth causes sweetness to subside.
• One of the best time of day to raise carrots is within the late afternoon or early night when sugar within the roots is concentrated.
Easy methods to Harvest Carrots
• Harvest carrots by gently pulling or lifting them from the soil; in the event that they don’t pull free simply, loosen the soil surrounding the roots with a hand fork. Jerking or tugging carrots can break the roots.
• Wash the roots and take away the leafy tops earlier than storing; leaving the greens connected will draw moisture and taste from the roots. Broken or bruised roots needs to be eaten quickly after harvest; they won’t preserve properly.
Easy methods to Retailer Carrots
Retailer carrots in a perforated plastic bag within the vegetable drawer of the fridge. That can preserve carrots chilly and moist (32°-40°F/0°-4°C and 95 p.c relative humidity). A fridge supplies the chilly, however can even have dry air. Putting carrots in a perforated plastic bag within the fridge creates a chilly and moist atmosphere.
Carrots could be saved for winter use a number of methods:
- Retailer carrots within the floor throughout cool winter months except a freeze is predicted; if frost is predicted and the roots can’t be protected, dig them up and retailer them elsewhere. If carrots keep within the floor all winter, harvest them earlier than new prime development begins in spring. Roots saved within the floor by way of winter needs to be eaten very quickly after harvest; they won’t preserve properly.
- Retailer carrots within the floor the place the soil freezes if the bottom could be insulated from freezing chilly. Hold the soil at 35° to 40°F by placing a 10- to a 12-inch-thick layer of hay, leaves, or straw mulch over the rows; lengthen the mulch on either side of every row by one other 18 inches or extra. This could defend roots even beneath two ft of snow. Dig roots by way of the winter as wanted.
- Retailer carrots in a root cellar or basement or in a storage the place the temperature is about 32°-38°F throughout the winter; retailer roots in a bucket or wood field crammed with both sand, peat moss, or sawdust; pack the roots in order that they’re standing upright or vertical and insulated and coated and don’t contact each other; some moist air should have the ability to flow into so don’t utterly seal the container. Earlier than storing the carrots, enable the skins to treatment or dry a number of days earlier than storing them within the root cellar. Don’t wash the carrots earlier than storing; merely brush away any soil.
Carrots saved in chilly moist situations will preserve for 4 to six months.
Carrots uncovered to very chilly temperatures will turn out to be bitter tasting. Carrots left within the floor too lengthy might be contact, woody, and should crack.
Test roots throughout storage and take away those who start to deteriorate.
Extra suggestions: Easy methods to Develop Carrots.