Questioning if you happen to ought to get a standing desk? Or if you happen to ought to provide your complete crew with standing desks?
Provided that 15 p.c of U.S. adults are bodily inactive, maybe the most important good thing about standing desks is just the standing half. For years, docs have instructed us how a sedentary life-style results in points like kind 2 diabetes, weight problems, and even some most cancers sorts.
Actually, sitting too lengthy is harming your staff greater than you may suppose.
When you’re taking a look at your finances for subsequent 12 months, you might be contemplating methods to make your workplace and staff extra comfy. Analysis signifies that 65 p.c of people who obtained standing desks reported a rise in productiveness; 47 p.c mentioned the ache of their higher again, neck, and shoulders improved.
Able to order new desks? This publish will cowl the science of standing desks, the advantages of standing desks, utilizing one appropriately, and the place to get them.
The Science Behind Standing Desks
You in all probability comprehend it’s higher to face than to sit down, particularly if you happen to have a tendency to sit down all day lengthy.
Within the new-ish world of distant working, much more persons are sitting at house lately.
Submit-pandemic, about 4.7 million individuals work remotely not less than half the time in America. For these nonetheless commuting, there’s additionally usually plenty of sit time, which implies a lot of the day for workplace staff is spent, nicely, sitting.
Proof signifies that the human physique burns extra energy when standing for not less than a part of the day. Sitting for too lengthy can put extreme strain on the backbone as nicely and is a significant supply of again ache. This alone is a superb purpose to contemplate the perks of a desk that enables staff to maneuver from a sit-to-stand place usually.
Associated: How Sitting is Harming Your Workers (+7 Tricks to Repair It!)
The Greatest Advantages of Standing Desks
Desks have lengthy been utilized by workplace workers with only one approach to make use of them: In a seated place.
Now, with many life-style points and ailments on the rise, scientists and workplaces alike are taking a look at how the typical employee can keep more healthy on the job with distinctive workplace tools modifications like standing desks.
The Mayo Clinic warns about sitting for hours on finish: Extreme sitting is linked to well being points like hypertension and the addition of extra visceral fats round belly organs. It’s simply not wholesome to sit down all day, each day. That’s the place a few of the finest advantages of standing desks come into play.
Right here’s a have a look at the most important perks of proudly owning a standing desk:
- Reduces danger of shoulder and again ache – Sitting for lengthy durations of time tends to result in slouching which ends up in again ache and muscle fatigue. It’s the continued, low-level stress on the physique with improper positioning that results in the larger accidents later down the street which will require the usage of bodily remedy and even surgical procedure.
- Improves productiveness – Who doesn’t wish to be extra productive? As a result of sit-stand desks are created with ergonomics in thoughts, there’s a major impression on productiveness within the office, too. One research by the British Medical Journal reveals trials involving 146 NHS staff who swapped common desks for sit-stand desks. The research confirmed that staff with sit-stand desks had been extra engaged and in addition had minor musculoskeletal points.
- Cut back well being points – A research revealed by JAMA Cardiology discovered that those that sit extra usually are cited as having a higher danger of well being problems. Six to eight hours of every day sitting “will increase the relative danger of coronary heart illness and untimely demise by round [12–13%], in comparison with individuals who sit lower than 4 hours per day. Bump that point as much as eight hours or extra, and the relative danger lurches to an astonishing 20[%].”
- Boosts circulation – Sitting isn’t the most effective place to maintain your blood circulating. Correct blood circulation retains contemporary blood going to cells to maintain the mind sharp and the guts wholesome. Poor circulation can result in fatigue. To cut back the danger of blood clots and enhance circulation, consultants suggest standing not less than two hours every day.
- Improves posture – Standing straight and tall whereas retaining toes shoulder-width aside ensures correct posture. It’s a lot simpler to maintain a correct posture whereas standing than it’s in a sitting place.
For many who sit and achieve this in entrance of a pc display screen all day, the danger of points like weight acquire aren’t the one downside. Not sufficient breaks may also result in digital eye pressure which might contribute to eye ache and complications.
The place to Get a Standing Desk
Fortunately, it’s not too onerous to discover a standing desk. You should purchase them by the standard workplace provide shops like Staples, Workplace Depot, and even The Dwelling Depot.
Relying in your finances will even dictate the place you might look. On-line retailers usually have specials across the holidays — Black Friday is developing — so you may join advertising newsletters to get first data of when objects will likely be happening sale.
Do a fast Google search, too, and also you’ll discover quite a lot of desk choices from handbook to electrical.
Ideas for Utilizing a Standing Desk
Prepared to leap on the standing desk practice? After doing thorough analysis (there are many opinions on the market as a result of reputation of this workplace tools) you’ll wish to make sure you use your desk to its fullest capabilities.
Just a few recommendations on utilizing a standing desk:
- Learn the handbook – Understanding tips on how to use your desk and all its options is useful. Undergo the handbook and perceive tips on how to manually or electronically modify your desk. Some desks have reminiscence settings to regulate precisely to your most well-liked sit and stand positions.
- Ease into it – When you’re used to sitting for a lot of the work day, it’s not going to be a fast adjustment to start out standing a lot of the day. Take breaks and alternate sitting to standing each 45 minutes or so. Work your approach as much as standing for longer durations of time, beginning off with 15 to half-hour of standing time.
- Put money into an anti-fatigue mat – An anti-fatigue mat is a good funding, particularly in case your workplace ground is cement or has tremendous skinny carpet. These mats are designed to attenuate fatigue that happens after lengthy durations of time on a tough floor.
- Regulate accordingly – Through the first week or so, you might discover you could modify your display screen, mouse place, and so on. Observe good posture and physique positioning and study ergonomics to make sure your physique doesn’t fatigue or overcompensate.
Even if you happen to can’t afford to outfit your complete crew with standing desks, encourage motion as a lot as attainable. Whether or not meaning supplying headsets for strolling conferences, asking them to face and stroll each half-hour, and even simply working whereas standing at a excessive desk or counter. Each motion provides up and makes a distinction for good well being.
Simply keep in mind, standing doesn’t change the necessity for exercise routine. Remind everybody to maintain that within the combine, too!
Do you’ve got a standing desk? How do you prefer it? Share within the feedback under!