- What’s Ziprasidone and what does it deal with?
- What’s an important info I ought to find out about Ziprasidone?
- Are there particular considerations about Ziprasidone and being pregnant?
- What ought to I focus on with my healthcare supplier earlier than taking Ziprasidone?
- How ought to I take Ziprasidone?
- What occurs if I miss a dose of Ziprasidone?
- What ought to I keep away from whereas taking Ziprasidone?
- What occurs if I overdose with Ziprasidone?
- What are potential uncomfortable side effects of Ziprasidone?
- Are there any dangers For taking Ziprasidone for lengthy intervals of time?
- What different medicines could work together with Ziprasidone?
- How lengthy does it take for Ziprasidone to work?
- Abstract of FDA Black Field Warnings
Model title: Geodon®
- Capsule: 20 mg, 40 mg, 60 mg, 80 mg
- Injection (quick launch): 20 mg/mL
Generic title: ziprasidone (zi PRAS i executed)
You’re reading: what is the generic name for geodon
All FDA black field warnings are on the finish of this truth sheet. Please overview earlier than taking this remedy.
What’s Ziprasidone and what does it deal with?
Ziprasidone is a drugs that works within the mind to deal with schizophrenia. Additionally it is referred to as a second technology antipsychotic (SGA) or atypical antipsychotic. Ziprasidone rebalances dopamine and serotonin to enhance pondering, temper, and habits.
Signs of schizophrenia embrace:
- Hallucinations — imagined voices or pictures that appear actual
- Delusions — beliefs that aren’t true (e.g., different persons are studying your ideas)
- Disorganized pondering or hassle organizing your ideas and making sense
- Little need to be round different folks
- Hassle talking clearly
- Lack of motivation
Ziprasidone could assist some or all of those signs.
Ziprasidone can be FDA accredited for the next indications:
- Acute therapy of manic or combined episodes of bipolar dysfunction
- Upkeep (long-term) therapy of bipolar dysfunction (when used with lithium or valproate)
- Acute therapy of agitation in schizophrenia
This remedy sheet will focus totally on schizophrenia. You’ll find extra details about bipolar dysfunction right here.
Ziprasidone may additionally be useful when prescribed “off-label” for schizoaffective dysfunction. “Off-label” signifies that it hasn’t been accredited by the Meals and Drug Administration for this situation. Your psychological well being supplier ought to justify his or her pondering in recommending an “off-label” therapy. They need to be clear concerning the limits of the analysis round that remedy and if there are another choices.
What’s an important info I ought to find out about Ziprasidone?
Schizophrenia requires long-term therapy. Don’t cease taking ziprasidone, even once you really feel higher.
With enter from you, your well being care supplier will assess how lengthy you will have to take the drugs.
Lacking doses of ziprasidone could improve your danger for a relapse in your signs.
Don’t cease taking ziprasidone or change your dose with out speaking together with your healthcare supplier first.
For ziprasidone to work correctly, it needs to be taken day-after-day as ordered by your healthcare supplier.
Are there particular considerations about Ziprasidone and being pregnant?
In case you are planning on changing into pregnant, notify your healthcare supplier to greatest handle your medicines. Individuals dwelling with schizophrenia who want to turn out to be pregnant face vital choices. It is a complicated resolution since untreated schizophrenia has dangers to the fetus, in addition to the mom. You will need to focus on the dangers and advantages of therapy together with your physician and caregivers.
Antipsychotic use through the third trimester of being pregnant has a danger for irregular muscle actions (extrapyramidal signs [EPS]) and/or withdrawal signs in newborns following supply. Signs within the new child could embrace agitation, feeding dysfunction, hypertonia, hypotonia, respiratory misery, somnolence, and tremor; these results could also be self-limiting or require hospitalization.
Warning is suggested with breastfeeding since ziprasidone does move into breast milk.
What ought to I focus on with my healthcare supplier earlier than taking Ziprasidone?
- Signs of your situation that trouble you probably the most
- When you’ve got ideas of suicide or harming your self
- Medicines you have got taken up to now to your situation, whether or not they had been efficient or prompted any antagonistic results
- In case you ever had muscle stiffness, shaking, tardive dyskinesia, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, or weight acquire attributable to a drugs
- In case you expertise uncomfortable side effects out of your medicines, focus on them together with your supplier. Some uncomfortable side effects could move with time, however others could require modifications within the remedy.
- Any psychiatric or medical issues you have got, similar to coronary heart rhythm issues, lengthy QT syndrome, coronary heart assaults, diabetes, excessive ldl cholesterol, or seizures
- When you’ve got a household historical past of diabetes or coronary heart illness
- All different medicines you’re at present taking (together with over-the-counter merchandise, natural and dietary dietary supplements) and any remedy allergy symptoms you have got
- Different non-medication therapy you’re receiving, similar to speak remedy or substance abuse therapy. Your supplier can clarify how these completely different remedies work with the remedy.
- In case you are pregnant, plan to turn out to be pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- In case you smoke, drink alcohol, or use unlawful medication
How ought to I take Ziprasidone?
You might want to know: what is beto o’rourke’s real first name
Ziprasidone is often taken 2 instances per day with meals (at the very least 500 energy).
Usually sufferers start at a low dose of drugs and the dose is elevated slowly over a number of weeks.
The dose often ranges from 40 to 80 mg twice day by day. Solely your healthcare supplier can decide the right dose for you.
Use a calendar, pillbox, alarm clock, or cellular phone alert that will help you keep in mind to take your remedy. You may additionally ask a member of the family or a pal to remind you or test in with you to make sure you’re taking your remedy.
What occurs if I miss a dose of Ziprasidone?
In case you miss a dose of ziprasidone, take it as quickly as you keep in mind, until it’s nearer to the time of your subsequent dose. Focus on this together with your healthcare supplier. Don’t double your subsequent dose or take greater than what’s prescribed.
What ought to I keep away from whereas taking Ziprasidone?
Keep away from consuming alcohol or utilizing unlawful medication if you are taking ziprasidone. They might lower the advantages (e.g. worsen your confusion) and improve antagonistic results (e.g. sedation) of the remedy.
What occurs if I overdose with Ziprasidone?
If an overdose happens name your physician or 911. It’s possible you’ll want pressing medical care. You may additionally contact the poison management middle at 1-800-222-1222.
A selected therapy to reverse the consequences of ziprasidone doesn’t exist.
What are potential uncomfortable side effects of Ziprasidone?
Widespread uncomfortable side effects
Drowsiness, extrapyramidal signs, headache, dizziness, nausea
Uncommon/critical uncomfortable side effects
Ziprasidone could improve the blood ranges of a hormone known as prolactin. Unintended effects of elevated prolactin ranges embrace females shedding their interval, manufacturing of breast milk and males shedding their intercourse drive or presumably experiencing erectile issues. Long run (months or years) of elevated prolactin can result in osteoporosis, or elevated danger of bone fractures.
Some folks could develop muscle associated uncomfortable side effects whereas taking ziprasidone. The technical phrases for these are “extrapyramidal signs” (EPS) and “tardive dyskinesia” (TD). Signs of EPS embrace restlessness, tremor, and stiffness. TD signs embrace sluggish or jerky actions that one can not management, typically beginning within the mouth with tongue rolling or chewing actions.
Temperature regulation: Impaired core physique temperature regulation could happen; warning with strenuous train, warmth publicity, and dehydration.
Second technology antipsychotics (SGAs) improve the danger of weight acquire, excessive blood sugar, and excessive ldl cholesterol. That is also called metabolic syndrome. Your healthcare supplier could ask you for a blood pattern to test your ldl cholesterol, blood sugar, and hemoglobin A1c (a measure of blood sugar over time) when you take this remedy.
Data on wholesome consuming and including train to lower your probabilities of growing metabolic syndrome could also be discovered on the following websites:
SGAs have been linked with larger danger of dying, strokes, and transient ischemic assaults (TIAs) in aged folks with habits issues as a consequence of dementia.
All antipsychotics have been related to the danger of sudden cardiac dying as a consequence of an arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat). To attenuate this danger, antipsychotic medicines needs to be used within the smallest efficient dose when the advantages outweigh the dangers. Your physician could order an EKG to watch for irregular heartbeat.
Read more: what is the difference between tiff and jpeg
Neuroleptic malignant syndrome is a uncommon, life threatening antagonistic impact of antipsychotics which happens in <1% of sufferers. Signs embrace confusion, fever, excessive muscle stiffness, and sweating. If any of those signs happen, contact your healthcare supplier instantly.
All antipsychotics may cause sedation, dizziness, or orthostatic hypotension (a drop in blood stress when standing up from sitting or mendacity down). These uncomfortable side effects could result in falls which may trigger bone fractures or different accidents. This danger is larger for folks with circumstances or different medicines that might worsen these results. If falls or any of those signs happen, contact your healthcare supplier.
Extreme pores and skin reactions have been reported with ziprasidone. These embrace Drug Response with Eosinophilia and Systemic Signs (DRESS) and Stevens-Johnson Syndrome which could be deadly. Search emergency therapy instantly if a extreme pores and skin response happens.
Are there any dangers For taking Ziprasidone for lengthy intervals of time?
Tardive dyskinesia (TD) is a aspect impact that develops with extended use of antipsychotics. Medicines similar to ziprasidone have been proven to have a decrease danger of TD in comparison with older antipsychotics, similar to Haldol® (haloperidol). In case you develop signs of TD, similar to grimacing, sucking, and smacking of lips, or different actions that you just can not management, contact your healthcare supplier instantly. All sufferers taking both first or second technology antipsychotics ought to have an Irregular Involuntary Motion Scale (AIMS) accomplished recurrently by their healthcare supplier to watch for TD.
Second technology antipsychotics (SGAs) improve the danger of diabetes, weight acquire, excessive ldl cholesterol, and excessive triglycerides. (See “Severe Aspect Results” part for monitoring suggestions).
What different medicines could work together with Ziprasidone?
Ziprasidone could block the consequences of brokers used to deal with Parkinson’s illness similar to levodopa/carbidopa (Sinemet®), bromocriptine, pramipexole (Mirapex®), ropinirole (Requip®), and others.
The next medicines could improve the danger of coronary heart issues when used with ziprasidone:
- Antipsychotics, together with chlorpromazine (Thorazine®), thioridizine (Mellaril®), asenapine (Saphris®), iloperidone (Fanapt®), paliperidone (Invega®), and quetiapine (Seroquel®)
- Antiarrhythmics (coronary heart rhythm medicines), together with procainamide, quinidine, amiodarone (Cordarone®), dronedarone (Multaq®), and sotalol (Betapace®)
The next medicines could improve the degrees and results of ziprasidone: fluoxetine (Prozac®), ketoconazole (Nizoral®), and paroxetine (Paxil®).
Carbamazepine (Tegretol®) could lower the degrees and results of ziprasidone.
How lengthy does it take for Ziprasidone to work?
It is extremely vital to inform your physician how you’re feeling issues are going through the first few weeks after you begin taking ziprasidone. It is going to in all probability take a number of weeks to see large enough modifications in your signs to resolve if ziprasidone is the correct remedy for you.
Antipsychotic therapy is mostly wanted lifelong for individuals with schizophrenia. Your physician can greatest focus on the period of therapy you want primarily based in your signs and sickness.
- Hallucinations, disorganized pondering, and delusions could enhance within the first 1-2 weeks
- Generally these signs don’t fully go away
- Motivation and need to be round different folks can take at the very least 1-2 weeks to enhance
- Signs proceed to get higher the longer you’re taking ziprasidone
- It might take 2-3 months earlier than you get the complete good thing about ziprasidone
Abstract of FDA Black Field Warnings
Elevated mortality in aged sufferers with dementia-related psychosis
- Each first technology (typical) and second technology (atypical) antipsychotics are related to an elevated danger of mortality in aged sufferers when used for dementia associated psychosis.
- Though there have been a number of causes of dying in research, most deaths seemed to be as a consequence of cardiovascular causes (e.g. sudden cardiac dying) or an infection (e.g. pneumonia).
- Antipsychotics should not indicated for the therapy of dementia-related psychosis.
©2019 The School of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists (CPNP) and the Nationwide Alliance on Psychological Sickness (NAMI). CPNP and NAMI make this doc accessible beneath the Inventive Commons Attribution-No Derivatives 4.0 Worldwide License. Final Up to date: January 2016.
This info is being offered as a group outreach effort of the School of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists. This info is for instructional and informational functions solely and isn’t medical recommendation. This info incorporates a abstract of vital factors and isn’t an exhaustive overview of details about the remedy. At all times search the recommendation of a doctor or different certified medical skilled with any questions you could have concerning medicines or medical circumstances. By no means delay in search of skilled medical recommendation or disregard medical skilled recommendation on account of any info offered herein. The School of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists disclaims any and all legal responsibility alleged on account of the knowledge offered herein.
Read more: what is a 6 x 9 envelope called