Dwelling » Affected person Data » Situations and Procedures » Hip » Regular Anatomy of the Hip Joint
The hip joint is the most important weight-bearing joint within the human physique. It’s also known as a ball and socket joint and is surrounded by muscle groups, ligaments, and tendons. The thigh bone or femur and the pelvis be a part of to type the hip joint.
Any damage or illness of the hip will adversely have an effect on the joint’s vary of movement and skill to bear weight.
You’re reading: what is your hip bone called
The hip joint is made up of the next:
- Bones and joints
- Ligaments of the joint capsule
- Muscle groups and tendons
- Nerves and blood vessels that provide the bones and muscle groups of the hip
Bones and Joints
The hip joint is the junction the place the hip joins the leg to the trunk of the physique. It’s comprised of two bones: the thigh bone or femur and the pelvis which is made up of three bones referred to as ilium, ischium, and pubis. The ball of the hip joint is made by the femoral head whereas the socket is fashioned by the acetabulum. The Acetabulum is a deep, round socket fashioned on the outer fringe of the pelvis by the union of three bones: ilium, ischium and pubis. The decrease a part of the ilium is hooked up by the pubis whereas the ischium is significantly behind the pubis. The soundness of the hip is offered by the joint capsule or acetabulum and the muscle groups and ligaments which encompass and help the hip joint.
You might want to know: what is 60th wedding anniversary called
The pinnacle of the femur rotates and glides throughout the acetabulum. A fibrocartilagenous lining referred to as the labrum is hooked up to the acetabulum and additional will increase the depth of the socket.
The femur or thigh bone is likely one of the longest bones within the human physique. The higher a part of the thigh bone consists of the femoral head, femoral neck, and higher and lesser trochanters. The pinnacle of the femur joins the pelvis (acetabulum) to type the hip joint. Subsequent to the femoral neck, there are two protrusions often known as higher and lesser trochanters which function websites of muscle attachment.
Articular cartilage is the skinny, powerful, versatile, and slippery floor lubricated by synovial fluid that covers the weight-bearing bones of the physique. It allows clean actions of the bones and reduces friction.
Ligaments are fibrous buildings that join bones to different bones. The hip joint is encircled with ligaments to offer stability to the hip by forming a dense and fibrous construction across the joint capsule. The ligaments adjoining the hip joint embrace:
- Iliofemoral ligament – This can be a Y-shaped ligament that connects the pelvis to the femoral head on the entrance of the joint. It helps in limiting over-extension of the hip.
- Pubofemoral ligament – This can be a triangular formed ligament that extends between the higher portion of the pubis and the iliofemoral ligament. It attaches the pubis to the femoral head.
- Ischiofemoral ligament – This can be a group of robust fibers that come up from the ischium behind the acetabulum and merge with the fibers of the joint capsule.
- Ligamentum teres – This can be a small ligament that extends from the tip of the femoral head to the acetabulum. Though it has no position in hip motion, it does have a small artery inside that provides blood to part of the femoral head.
- Acetabular labrum – The labrum is a fibrous cartilage ring which strains the acetabular socket. It deepens the cavity rising the steadiness and power of the hip joint.
Muscle groups and Tendons
A protracted tendon referred to as the iliotibial band runs alongside the femur from the hip to the knee and serves as an attachment website for a number of hip muscle groups together with the next:
- Gluteals – These are the muscle groups that type the buttocks. There are three muscle groups (gluteus minimus, gluteus maximus, and gluteus medius) that connect to the again of the pelvis and insert into the higher trochanter of the femur.
- Adductors – These muscle groups are situated within the thigh which assist in adduction, the motion of pulling the leg again in direction of the midline.
- Iliopsoas: This muscle is situated in entrance of the hip joint and offers flexion. It’s a deep muscle that originates from the decrease again and pelvis, and extends as much as the within floor of the higher a part of the femur.
- Rectus femoris – That is the most important band of muscle groups situated in entrance of the thigh. In addition they are hip flexors.
- Hamstring muscles- These start on the backside of the pelvis and run down the again of the thigh. As a result of they cross the again of the hip joint, they assist in extension of the hip by pulling it backwards.
Nerves and Arteries
Nerves of the hip switch indicators from the mind to the muscle groups to help in hip motion. In addition they carry the sensory indicators resembling contact, ache, and temperature again to the mind.
The primary nerves within the hip area embrace the femoral nerve within the entrance of the femur and the sciatic nerve on the again. The hip can be provided by a smaller nerve often known as the obturator nerve.
Along with these nerves, there are blood vessels that provide blood to the decrease limbs. The femoral artery, one of many largest arteries within the physique, arises deep within the pelvis and may be felt in entrance of the higher thigh.
The entire anatomical elements of the hip work collectively to allow numerous actions. Hip actions embrace flexion, extension, abduction, adduction, circumduction, and hip rotation.
You might want to know: what is the corner of the eye called